Learn how to make a transparent text background, also called a “Clipping Mask”
If you want to know how to cut the text out of your background (but you have no idea where to start) you’re in the right place! This article will provide two ways to achieve transparent text against any background that you like.
Please note that some of the links included in this article are affiliate partner links. For more information, click here.
One way I will show you is to do so by using the free version of Canva. For this method, there are a few steps to follow to get it accomplished. The alternative is very quick and easy, but uses Adobe Photoshop, which can be pricy if you are new to blogging. If you don’t have a subscription to Photoshop, you can always accomplish your goal by signing up for a free trial. While it’s much easier to do using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, the drawback is that after the free trial is over you’ll need a subscription.
Here is a video demonstration if you prefer to watch instead of read.
Canva: Steps to Create a Transparent Background (or Clipping Mask) for FREE
1. Go to Canva.com and create a free account.
2. Once you’re inside the Canva dashboard, you can either search for a design in a specific size, or you can type what you’re looking for in the search bar (i.e.: Pinterst Pin, Instagram/Square, Facebook Cover, etc.
3. Type in some text, choose the font you desire, and then change the font size to make it as big as you can but still fit into the size of the template you’re designing for. You can always make it smaller later.
4. Make sure your text does not have a background, and download the .png file (you do not want to use a .jpg because you will see a white box around it.
5. Double click your downloaded file to open it up in Preview. Use the magic wand selection tool to highlight one letter at a time, and delete.
6. Once you’re finished with each letter, save this file as a new .png and upload it to Canva.
7. Select the background that you want to use, either from one of the Canva background templates, or you can upload your own background.
8. Place the new file on top of the background and you’ll see through the text. Adjust this to how you like it, and then download the .png file again.
9. Open up this new file in Preview, and this time, you’ll use the magic wand selection tool to select the “inverse” and delete. This will delete the background and leave you with the letters against the background that you like.
10. Save the new .png file and the background of the letters will be transparent so you can place the “cut out letters” against any background you choose.
Even though there are more steps (i.e.: uploading and downloading) to achieving your goal with this method, it’s not too difficult once you’ve got the hang of it…and that’s the trade off for being free. On to the Photoshop method.
Steps to create a Clipping Mask using Photoshop or Illustrator
1. Place your desired background layer on the bottom and add a new layer to position your text.
2. Click >Object >ClippingMask >Make (or Command 7 on a Mac)
3. Voila! You can save this as a .png or add a new background directly to the same file and drag the background layer to the bottom.
Want exclusive access to even more awesome tips that Digital Agencies use to grow their client’s business by using Pinterest? Get started with my FREE Pinterest for Business Checklist and start growing your revenue today!